Friday, October 5, 2007

Camping!



We finally set aside some time to take a camping trip. Jeremy, Jaden, Sprite, Lucky and I all went camping Sept 21-23 at Isle De Bois state park. We took out pop-up camper and camped next to my friend Monica and her family - Monica's mom & dad, Eric (her hubby) and their girls, Elana (Jaden's best friend) and Elyse. They stayed in Monica's parent's RV. So, yeah, we were all spoiled with air conditioning at night. So what!?!

(in this picture the little dot next to Elana's head is Sprite swimming!)

It was such a R-E-L-A-X-I-N-G weekend. It was so nice not to have anything to do but lull around in the water or take a hike or a bike ride. We brought our kayakings and went for a little cruise around the lake. Monica and I biked the roads. Eric went for a run. Jeremy went on a mtn bike ride. We read books. The kids played in the dirt and got bit by ants and stuck by sticker-burrs. The dogs barked at anything that moved. The mosquitoes were relentless. .... Wait a minute. I digress. We really did have a good time and the bugs weren't that bad. (well, maybe the ants) There were some cool spiders everywhere!


The only bad thing that happened occurred when I took Lucky for a jog...while on my bike. With no helmet. Going really fast. On the sidewalk. And then Lucky got in front of me, slowed down and I saw his leash sag to the floor. I thought I was going to run over it and get it tangled up in my bike so I clamped on my brakes. Know what happens when you do that? Your bikes stops instantly and your momentum keeps you going forward. I did what bikers call an "endo" (my end went over my bike). I made a nice flip, slide on my left side on the sidewalk into the grass and some how my bike flipped betwen my legs and scrapped my left thigh in the process.

I was in so much pain I couldn't move at first. Then I rolled onto my back and looked around for Lucky. He was sniffing something interesting on the sidewalk completely oblivious to my predicament. Where is Lassie when you need him? I grabbed his leash and just laid on the sidewalk until the initial stinging subsided. Then I got up and checked for anything broken. All seemed in place, but lots of road rash/blood on the left arm and leg. I got back on the bike and slowly pedaled back to camp. I scared everyone (including myself) and got treated with a hydrogen peroxide bath (ouch!). I didn't break anything, but I have a deep muscle bruise on my left thigh that is still there. I give it another 2-3 weeks before it's completely gone.

Moral of this story:
Never ride without your bike helmet (I was extremely lucky i didn't hit my head).
And teach your dog very early on how to follow you on your bike OFF LEASH.

The End.

No comments: